Thursday, November 12, 2009


When we are not in Alabama for Thanksgiving, I make our traditional dinner:
Last year, I added Congealed Strawberries to our desert menu.  This recipe was one of DH's favorite desert when he was growing up. I was fortunate enough to have his grandmother's collection of family favorite's recipes.  My mother-in-law compiled the recipes into a book, when her mother passed away. 

Although my family loves the traditional dishes, I want to add something new to our traditional meal this year. That is why I am so thankful that Kim is hosting Tried and True Thanksgiving Recipes Week (Nove 9-13). Here's her agenda for the week.

  • Monday- Appetizers. Do you have a little something something while you're waiting for the bird to cook?
  • Tuesday- Sides. Hot or Cold. I'm looking forward to this one as I'm always on the look out for a new side to try.
  • Wednesday- Main dish. Yes I know that most of us cook a turkey and call it done. But do you fry it, roast it, season it, smoke it? I wanna know. I'm always up for change there too. Oh and some of you may even cook a ham or beef. Let us know.
  • Thursday- Dessert. In my family everyone has a favorite pie so we usually end up with 5-6 pies.
  • Friday- Thanksgiving Traditions! Yes on this day I want to know what it is you always do on Thanksgiving.The memories you've made. This is the day to get nostalgic! There is always memories associated with food. Share them!

Congealed Strawberries
    -= Ingredients =-

    • 1 large pkg strawberry jello


    • 1 Cup hot water ; (boiling point)


    • 1 16 ounce frozen sliced strawberries


    • 1 large can crushed pineapple ; (well drained)


    • 2 packages plain gelatin (Knox orginal gelatin)


    • 4 bananas sliced ; (optional-pour lemon juice on banana slices and let it soaked ; for a few minutes-drain well. The lemon will keep from ; turning brown)


    • 1 Cup chopped nuts


    • 1 pint Reduced fat sour cream

    -= Instructions =-

  1. Combine jello with ¾ cups of hot water. Stir until powder dissolved.


  2. Add the partially thawed strawberries. Mix well. Add the well drained pineapple. Mix well.


  3. Combine 1/2 cup of cold water and 2 bags of plain gelatin. Stir until powder dissolved. Add to mixture. Mix well.


  4. Add sliced bananas and nuts. Mix well.


  5. Put in the fridge until partially set or thickened. Spoon ½ of the mixture into a mold or a salad bowl. Then spread the sour cream evenly all over the top. Follow the remainder of the strawberry mixture. Chill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates